Nitrous Oxide is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe.
Nitrous Oxide has been the primary means of reducing anxiety in dentistry for many years. It is very safe.
The patient is able to breathe on their own and remain in control of all bodily functions.
The patient may experience mild amnesia and may fall asleep, not remembering all of what happened during their appointment.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide
- The depth of effect can be easily increased or decreased at any time.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”.
- Nitrous Oxide is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Nitrous Oxide is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
Reasons to not use Nitrous Oxide
You should not utilize Nitrous Oxide if you have been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Though there are no other major contraindications to using nitrous oxide, you may not want to use it if you have emphysema, exotic chest problems, M.S., a cold or other difficulties with breathing.
Are You Looking for Exceptional Endodontic Care?
Great River Endodontics can relieve pain and save your natural teeth. Contact us today!